The Migrant Links Program provides an opportunity to assist migrants to integrate into Australian social, economic and civil life, a critical element in building social cohesion.
The Program develops the skills, knowledge and understanding of key areas of Australian lifestyle and society, while also creating a shared understanding of the experiences of migrants in the local community and the positive contributions that they are making.
The Program works collaboratively with key migrant connection points, such as schools, childcare centres, workplaces and agencies and services, to engage with and deliver information to migrant communities. It will also connect with local migrant groups to support them to connect with key community resources, such as professional networks, services and community groups, that will enhance their capacity to successfully engage in the Australian lifestyle.
The Migrant Links Program implements strategies to provide supported links between people from migrant backgrounds and key local networks, resources and community groups in order to enhance their connections and understanding of their new life in Mackay and Australia.
The objectives of the Program are to more effectively facilitate the integration of migrants by:
- encouraging the social and economic participation of migrants by developing skills and cultural competencies to integrate into Australian social, economic and civil life, and build community resilience
- promoting and encouraging the uptake of Australian values and liberal democracy and amplifying the value of Australian citizenship
- addressing issues within Australian communities that show potential for, or early signs of, low social integration
- promoting a greater understanding and tolerance of racial, religious and cultural diversity
The Program works with
- newly arrived migrants
- first and second generation migrants
- communities showing early signs of or potential for integration challenges and/or racial, religious or cultural intolerance
For more information or to make an appointment please contact George Street Neighbourhood Centre on (07) 4957 2626
George Street Neighbourhood Centre
4 George Street, Mackay QLD 4740