The Neighbourhood Hub Multicultural Community Program is a part of the Community Action for a Multicultural Society (CAMS) network. This network of multicultural community workers undertake systemic and group advocacy and community capacity-building activities for the benefit of Queenslanders from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Backgrounds (CALD) delivering and strengthening community connectedness across the state. The network consists of 20 multicultural, advocacy and community workers, many of whom are regionally based. Regional areas where CAMS workers are located include Logan, Bundaberg, Mackay, Gold Coast, Caboolture, Nambour, Hervey Bay, Cairns, Toowoomba and Townsville.
The Neighbourhood Hub Multicultural Community Program provides information, referral and support to individuals and families who have Culturally and Linguistically Diverse backgrounds (CALD). The program specialises in creating and supporting intercultural connectedness for migrants, other CALD participants and Australian born citizens to help them achieve social and economic participation within the local community.
The Multicultural Community Program may assist you if you are:
- New to the area
- Interested in joining a multicultural group
- A parent with young children
- Having difficulties finding out information
- Interested in practicing spoken English
- Experiencing difficulty adjusting to life in Australia
- A member of a cultural group needing information
- An employer of skilled migrants
- New to Australia and want some information about life in Australia
- Need support on an issue
- Wanting to give back to community through volunteering
- In a cross-cultural marriage or relationship and needing information or support
Program Activities include:
- World Cafe – a free culture-sharing group which meets every Tuesday from 10.30 am to 12.30 pm (at 4 George street)
- English Conversation Circle – free English classes to practice conversational English, every Thursday 1.00 pm – 3.00 pm (at 4 George street)
- Big Sister Project – one-on-one mentoring and support for migrant women to achieve their goals and potential
- Prep-Ready Kids – for multicultural families with kids aged between 2-5 every Monday from 9.15 am to 11.00 am (during school term).
For more information please contact Conchi or Ela on (07) 4957 7222, email: email@example.com
If you are a new migrant and are interested in individual support with settling in Australia, including assistance with obtaining a driver licence, please get in touch with our Migrant Settlement Program (click here).